Looking for radiant skin in an instant?
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure designed to help rejuvenate the skin by removing dead skin cells that have built up over time on the surface of the skin. It can be used on any area of the face or body where you want to smooth out wrinkles, reduce fine lines, get rid of brown spots, reduce pore size (particularly for enlarged pores), and even diminish acne breakouts. It’s also helpful for diminishing scars and stretch marks, as microdermabrasion stimulates collagen production to flatten scar tissue.
What are the benefits of Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion uses advanced techniques to rejuvenate, restore and protect your skin with long lasting results.
Suitable for all skin types, Microdermabrasion improves most skin troubles including oily skin, blemishes, brown spots and acne while reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
This treatment removes dead skin cells and increases cellular turnover leaving the skin looking more radiant and youthful. Microdermabrasion on the face and body improves the overall look, feel, texture and tone of the skin and helps products penetrate more easily. Your treatment continues at home with skin care packs to maintain and enhance your treatment’s results.
Microdermabrasion has been steadily increasing in popularity over the years for many reasons – but mainly due to its easy accessibility for both those treating themselves and professionals and its affordable prices.
How is Microdermabrasion performed?
This procedure involves the use of micro-crystals (usually made up of aluminium oxide) that are sprayed onto the surface of the skin at high speeds to create microchannels that remove dead skin without causing damage to the healthy layers of your skin. The micro-crystals don’t hurt your skin as they travel over it due to their small size and their speed. The micro-crystals break up as soon as they come into contact with the upper layers of the skin, so there is nothing left behind to irritate your skin.
An exfoliation treatment typically takes about 30 minutes to an hour. Microdermabrasion healing processes generally take seven to ten days; however, you begin to see beneficial skin changes right after the first session.
Your skin may appear slightly red after the procedure, depending on how sensitive your skin is. This red shade is not a sign of irritation though but appears due to increased circulation and is a natural response to microdermabrasion. Usually, this redness should fade after a few hours or a day.
Preparing for your procedure and aftercare
There are a few steps you can take prior to treatment to ensure that the procedure is safe and effective:
- Avoid activities that irritate or expose your skin
- Stay out of the sun for two to four weeks before your treatment and regularly applying sun protection to prevent sun damage.
- Do not use spray tan or self-tan products for a few weeks before your procedure.
- Avoid waxing, plucking, or bleaching for two to four weeks before your treatment (a razor is usually still fine).
- Avoiding medication such as Retin-A for two weeks and Roaccutane (used as acne treatments) for six months before your session is also recommended.
After your procedure, there are a few simple yet helpful tips you can take to ensure your healing process is quick and comfortable:
- Apply soothing gel that you can ask for at your appointment can ease any discomfort you are feeling and help reduce inflammation if there is any.
- Avoiding unnecessary perspiration, spas or pools that are chemically treated, and excessively hot showers until your skin has finished healing also helps your skin to heal faster.
- If you do experience any crusting or swelling on the treated area, it is important to contact your select clinic for further consultation.